Dear Ontario teachers:

12 Sep

I know you’re angry right now. You should be. That your bargaining process has been interrupted by the reprehensible actions of the Liberals and Progressive Conservatives in Ontario should outrage you and all Ontarians who support you.

I want to acknowledge your pain. Having never had a student wet himself beside me, having never had to separate a fight where girls’ hair is strewn across the floor, having never had to explain why the Merchant of Venice doesn’t suck, having never had to stop myself from swearing for more than a few days at a time….I know that what you do I could never do. What you do, most people can’t do. Even with the shitty teachers lumped in, the service you give to the community deserves to be acknowledged, honoured and celebrated.

Somehow, this message hasn’t gotten to Dalton McGuinty. Somehow his teacher-wife who I assume he talks to has withheld this vital information from him whenever they chat. Somehow his memories of high school (likely awkward) have clouded his judgement. Values of fairness, respect and process have been lost or forgotten.

Today was a terrible day in the history of Ontario.

In part, you are to blame. You spend too much time with students. Unlike the current government, you don’t issue a press release every time little Preethy learns to spell or big Hugh walks into class on time. You don’t brag to the world that another cohort of students have come and gone from your classroom with more knowledge than before. If you took the government’s approach to public relations, you would release an advisory about every child, every three days, even if medium-sized James was still a terrible fractioner.

In part, your union representatives are to blame. They thought that only Hudak could be as bad as Mike Harris. They were wrong. They thought that *maybe* Dalton was different. Despite having taken no action on much of the waste and poor policy ideas of the Harris years (like EQAO), they thought -just maybe- Dalton’ll respect us.

Did you know that one of the stats that Dalton likes to keep referencing is that under his watch, there’s been zero days lost to teacher strikes? He drags that out whenever he can. I first saw it at the Liberal convention in 2011. No mention, of course, that Ontario have a college professor strike under his watch. But who’s counting?

Dalton knows that playing politics with teachers is risky business. Screwing over the people who spend the most time with your children is not the smartest idea. But, his kids are grown now so bets are off, apparently.

You’ve all been used. Disrespected. Shamed. He’s hoping that you’ll return to your classrooms and never mention this again. He knows that your other political options aren’t the strongest and that many of you will reluctantly return to the Liberal tent.

But, you don’t have to do this.

You’ve just experienced what many progressive people would call “oppression” and it was at the hands of the “law” or, the people who you elected to represent you. These people were empowered by your votes, are paid with by your money, play with your money and then make your most powerful tool, a strike, illegal.

When you experience an injustice at the hands of people you pay and you elected, you have to first acknowledge that you’re part of the problem. Then, that there’s something you can do to fix it.

I urge you to think beyond work-to-rule. That pisses off the most keen or the most in need of extracurrirulars. The most keen will grow up to become embittered politicians and repeat this vicious cycle. The most in need of extracurriculars are the ones you care about the most.

Instead:

-Refuse to mark anything. Refuse to submit grades. Refuse to administer tests. Use this as an opportunity to be creative and responsive to your students. Give fake grades to the students who need to hear that they’re better than everyone else.

-Refuse to administer the government’s standard tests. Return the tests blank.

-Talk to your students about what has happened. Organize protests at your school in any way you can.

-Mail all your garbage to Queen’s Park. Because, why not? (primary teachers: this could include wood shavings…)

-Take your kids outside for class once a week. Hold class outside in protest (the kids will probably love this).

-Write a letter and send it to all of your kids’ parents about how you have been affected by this decision.

-Consider a wildcat strike. Tell your most active, badass kids to spread the word in advance so that no one actually shows up to school.

-Encourage your students to boycott their uniforms.

-Never forget and spend every second you have not marking to rage against this decision.

-Make sure that you have a few colleagues ready to take action with you. Do this together.

Teachers, I really feel for you. This hasn’t been fair. But, remember that the saying “no justice, no peace” actually means something.

Keep the children safe, get creative, and fight back with everything you have.

**I updated a sentence where I misused a comma. The rogue comma lead some to the interpretation that I think elementary teachers are garbage. It has been corrected.

38 Responses to “Dear Ontario teachers:”

1. Lindsay Watson September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am #

I agree! If I stop doing extra-curriculars, I’m just a bad guy to the people I care about most = my students. Long has been the plan to just stop doing the extras that kids most need. It’s wrong and frankly, it’s one of the most important parts of my job – I don’t get paid for it (hahem, Mr. Premier) , but it helps me to know my students on a level that really matters – not the “you’re an ‘A’ or a ‘B'” but what makes them tick. Teachers did get screwed but I think the bigger picture here is that it isn’t just the teachers. We were just the pawns in the game. Now we need to be creative in how we (as a society) respond. It’s not about a strike (that just pisses everyone off anyway), it’s about finding options in who we elect, how we spend each dollar, and making our leaders accountable to the mistakes they’ve made (i.e. orange and e-health). The bottom line, I know that I am not the worst off – I am grateful for what I have. I have a job, in a time when so many don’t, and it’s a job that I LOVE! We will continue to do what we always do – teach our students with passion, conviction, and creativity. But yesterday opened a new chapter and the ending has yet to be written, that’s for sure!

• Karen September 13, 2012 at 2:36 am #

I totally agree with you. I also enjoy doing extra-curricular activities with my students. Seeing my students wear the p.j pants (for pyjama day) they made during our after school sewing club is totally priceless. It will be interesting to see the ending to this!! Keep up the great work!

• AirSunder January 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Out of curiosity. What does the “gratuity” check cover? If a sick day is taken is that removed from the salaries? Also the “options on who we elect” does that mean a union friendly government? Hasn’t their been a 24% increase in salaries with the last government?
      I do agree that teachers are pawns… I just wish they would figure out who is playing the game.

2. Michael Wosnick September 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

No doubt I will regret this, but what the heck… I am married to a former teacher, Special Ed Administrator, Vice-Principal and Principal so believe me I *understand* teachers and I am a HUGE teacher supporter. I cold not have been prouder of my wife Kathy’s work or her profession. I admire teachers and I always will. The work they do is as thankless and as misunderstood as one can often get.

*BUT* I have long been a huge critic of all of the teacher UNIONS. Militant and inappropriate leadership of ETFO, SSTF etc have, in my mind, forever been totally out of touch with the reality that the payers live with and have, by most of their bargaining tactics and postures and communications in the past done you all far more harm in than any good, at least in the public eye. You have allowed the union leaders to stir you up time after time when all you really wanted to do was teach. You have elected union leaders who seem not to really care about what they say they care about, but who seem instead to have more thirst for the “game” not the kids.

Don’t get me wrong – doesn’t mean I agree or disagree wiht the Ont gov’t position. All I am saying is that you need to clean up your own unions and make them far more responsible in the public eye before you go and do even more damage with militant and threatening postures. If you get real crazy now, despite how angry and justified you may feel, you will lose all public support. This is what unions never seem to get. Don’t make that mistake as individuals.

• supporteroffairness September 13, 2012 at 3:04 am #

What public support? By the way, the work of unions raises the bar for all professions and employed individuals. I’m not just a teacher, who supports a union, I am also a mother who who hopes and prays my children will grow up to be employeed in safe work environments, paid what they should be for their efforts, and who are not exploited by the fat cat at the top hoarding all the money. Shame on you for using the fact your wife was a teacher as your right to weigh in on what our teacher unions do or don’t do for us. I don’t pretend to know what my husband does at work all day, and for the record he’s not unionized as a private sector employee, so if my husband shot off his opinion, as you did, I’d put him in his place in a quick hurry. Maybe you know a CEO or a doctor or maybe a cashier, so now your the expert on what they do and what their work environments look like. Don’t hide behind someone else and use that as your shield to bash my union. you have a bias against unions. That’s your problem!

• Michael Wosnick September 13, 2012 at 3:49 am #

If your husband “shot off his opinion”, you’d “put him in his place in a quick hurry”???? Are you kidding me???? And you are no doubt thinking that you are teaching our kids tolerance. I hope my grandkids never show up in your classroom.

Holy crap……

• Nora Loreto September 13, 2012 at 3:54 am #

I have to agree with the sentiments of the people who have posted before you. You’re not kidding anyone and you are trying to justify your opinion by using your wife. Having followed your debate here and on Facebook, it’s clear that you use the veneer to spew anti-union rhetoric.

The government, not the unions, interfered with the Collective Agreement process. Anyone looking to stir up debate by attacking unions on this issue is an ideologue with a bone to pick. That doesn’t make for constructive, helpful or even accurate debate.

• Michael Wosnick September 13, 2012 at 4:03 am #

There’s a first time for everything. I have been called lots of things in my 60 years, but an idealogue has never been among them. That said, I do own my own opinions and I have no need to “use” my wife to hide behind. I was merely giving context for my credibility which you have assailed – so be it.

I fear the lot of you are missing the point, but so be that as well.

Good night and best wishes on your “fight”.

• R Scott September 13, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

I have no sympathy at all for teachers- you have the most powerful pension fund in Canada-your union whines constantly- and you think your the only ones who have stress at work- give me a break. Your off for 2 months in the summer- off for a week in march- off for two weeks at christmas- and you complain that you have to work extra to mark papers. Yes- you can get terrible students- but life is not perfect- except if your a teacher and expect it all to be a bed of roses. Now your taking it out on the ones your suppose to give a damn about- take away their sports- take away things that actually make students respect you. If your that unhappy- leave- let’s see if you can find another job with all those perks you have- i doubt it.

• Nora Loreto September 14, 2012 at 1:10 am #

Your use of the “my life sucks, so should everyone else’s” logic is lost on me. By that logic, the fact that you’re not homeless, like are many others, is an injustice.

• rudy johnson September 14, 2012 at 1:11 am #

Unions do not raise the bar for all professions and employed individuals. 1 out of every 4 Canadians are unionized and that number is decreasing year by year. Unions were brought in to ensure safe working conditions, a fair wage and regulate working conditions such as hours, days, etc… I can assure you that teachers have all those and more. The reason unions are becoming obsolete is the fact there is so much employment legislature already in place to cover most of what a union was first created to do.

The only teachers that are underpaid in my eyes are the younger ones who are doing anything and everything to get a job because their older colleagues are stretching out their career at the top of the pay scale because why would they walk away from an $80,000 + a year job with summers off. Then when they do walk away they come back and take supply jobs away from their fellow union members. In fact how many union members are paying their dues only to be working as a server, in retail, or some other job other than teaching. Teacher colleges should be regulated to stop producing so many teachers when they know there are no jobs. Also did anyone stop to think that with so many older teachers hanging on to their jobs that eventually you will need to hire a bunch of teachers with minimal experience as the experience they normally would of gained through normal work progression was halted or held back due to no work being available.

Lastly unions are a double edged sword. Yes they drive up wages and compensation packages that a normal individual may not be able to obtain on their own but this also drives up variable costs that the employer eventually needs to deal with as economic times get tough. As everyone knows you cant cut fixed costs so you need to go after variable costs. So as the union has done so much good for the members in the past eventually there is a tipping point where the employer is going to start asking for concessions in order to balance things out. In the private sector this results in layoffs, downsizing or two tiered wages. In the case of the teachers you are not going to see this downsizing as obviously class room size can realistically only be so big. With this being said you have pretty good job security especially considering if a private sector company was in as bad a shape as your employer “the government” the company would no longer exist. So while everyone else is taking pay cuts reduced wages, loss of jobs sit back and think how lucky you are to even be in the position you are. The government is over 16 billion dollars in debt and you want more. I have read the bulletins posted on the secondary school teachers union website and they are ridiculous. If you thinking taking on another $450 million dollars in wage increases is good for us and the future of your kids than you should not be teaching. Fiscal responsibility is a huge problem in today’s society and you are looking to further perpetuate this problem with your union. Take a minute and think about how if we keep spiraling into debt what it will do to our bond rating and the impact that will have. In fact take a look at what your colleagues in the states get for their job doing the exact same thing you do everything single day. You guys are blessed.

• airsunder January 10, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Please explain “unions raise the bar”? The unions raise employees pay scales. And of course union members support unions… I would love to see a union member go against the union mindset. Im not in a union and I work in a very safe environment and am not exploited. AND.. if I feel im underpaid for the job I do I will (and have) approach my boss for a raise. I dont, have not and NEVER will EXPECT a raise.
        On another note coming from a “teacher” and mother I find it frightening that you would put your spouse “in their place” for sharing an opinion.
        Although I find it commendable that you would protect your “union”.

• Dan September 15, 2012 at 12:16 am #

Unions may not be perferct but they are our voice. They helped to reduce class size..not the government. They helped get special Ed students the support they need(they need more), not the government. There are so many things they helped put in place. However, the public in this country regards teachers as lazy and incompetent. i for one am withdrawing all my extra time. Sad as it may be, the priviledged children will get along just fine.

• kids4debt January 3, 2013 at 12:26 am #

Dan – unions led to larger class sizes…. and reduced services for special ed in schools. The community chest is funded by taxpayers… the education $$$ have been funding your salaries and benefits. There’s only so much $$$ to go around – and it’s been funding your raises. Also, extra-curricular time should be part of your contracted work day – to supplement your 4-1/2-5 hour in-class time.

• newerteacher September 15, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Well said Michael Wosnick. I am a teacher myself, and I agree that we need to clean up our unions. I feel like as a new teacher, the union gave minimal f*cks about us. I feel like our leadership is weak, and we should’ve and could’ve been doing more to defend ourselves. These unions are run by an older membership, as younger members are not engaged and frankly disappointed by the strategies and tactics. We should try to inform our kids about what is going on through our classrooms, as it can align with the curriculum (ie: in gr. 5: government unit).

3. R Scott September 14, 2012 at 1:49 am #

It’s amazing what people read into things that are not there- life is still not perfect- but you work at it- as in being homeless- one should not speak of things they have no clue of- i was at one time homeless- but did something about it- which really has nothing to do with my original comment about teachers and the constant complaining i hear- poor us- i know of two teachers who spent their whole summer in France- life must be really difficult for them- i don’t imagine they did anything to help the ones who need help- as for myself i donate money and time to people of need as much as i can-

4. J Thomas September 14, 2012 at 4:24 am #

The thing that amazes me the most is the Public Sector workers did not create this situation. It all began with a premeditated, well thought out, and fake economic fiasco back in 2008. And now the individuals that help most in the communities are paying the price. Unfortunately the Public Sector workers salaries make-up the largest financial output for most communities and this is the area that the Premier looks to, to make cuts.
    As well the public are now attacking Public Sector workers. YET, with each year they expect more and more from us. You can only add more responsibilities to a point with-out expecting an increase in wages and or benefits. Instead with all of the responsibilities expected of Teacher, Paramedics, Police and Nurses. They expect cuts. This is CRAZY TALK! On a side note if the Province is in such a grave amount of debt. And cut backs are becoming the norm. Why does Dalton continue to give individuals who by electric cars incentives of up to $8400.00. In the end the only the upper class can afford the cars because the prices are unattainable for the average person. This is only one small example as to why the government needs to reassess its efforts and spending practices.

• R Scott September 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Guess that means the only people who will be able to afford electric cars will be teachers if they keep getting what they want.

5. Lea September 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Are you kidding me?? I am a teacher myself and using children as pawns in this in any way what so ever is wrong. This gives me the wrong feeling all over! Do not allow ontarios children to lose a year of their education over this! And sending garbage to the government?? What kind of example does that set?? Poor strategies indeed.

• Lea September 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Not to mention what a terrible reputation Ontario teachers are getting over this! What about this strategy: keep our heads down, teach ontarios children well, keep them out of the bickering that’s going on between ‘mom’ and ‘dad’.. Write our own letters to mcguinty on our own time if we so see fit and get our reputation back as a group who, push comes to shove, puts the kids first! If mcguinty is not doing that then if teachers turn the other cheek the real wrong will surface eventually.

• Nora Loreto September 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

I *really* hope you don’t teach anyone grammar.

6. Michael Wosnick September 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Nora,

To quote you right back at yourself: “That doesn’t make for constructive, helpful or even accurate debate.”

But then, it’s pretty clear you are not *really* interested in a debate, since having one actually means you have to give respect to others’ points of view. It is clear that if any of us do not agree with your original rant, then we are only worthy of put-downs, labels and brush-offs.

I’m done wasting my time on this blog….

7. Jane Schmidt September 15, 2012 at 12:47 am #

As someone who shook your hand after winning the CAUT Journalism Award in 2009, I am shaking my head after reading this blog post. The disdain you are showing for students is very disappointing. “Give fake grades to the students who need to hear that they’re better than everyone else.” Seriously?? Do you really believe that a child’s desire to have their efforts validated by an age old system of grading is as pathetic as you are suggesting it is with this statement? If so, I really encourage you to re-evaluate your capacity for empathy.

“Even with the shitty teachers lumped in, the service you give to the community deserves to be acknowledged, honoured and celebrated.” Well, this is a ringing endorsement of the group you are so heroically advising. The only remotely sensible suggestion you’ve listed is to boycott standardized testing. Otherwise, encouraging kids to skip class, put garbage in the mail and to spew rage is unproductive, immature and most certainly not going to make the situation any better. Beyond these futile suggestions, you’ve also not properly articulated the problem at hand. The piece is poorly argued and lazily written.

“The most keen will grow up to become embittered politicians and repeat this vicious cycle.” I remember your reputation as a keen student at Ryerson; I purport that your prediction of a keener’s behaviour is accurate — have you considered the fact that this blog post paints you in the very picture of the embittered politician? Your rhetoric is the very definition of embittered. And as a celebrated figure in the Canadian post-secondary community, you can do better.

• Nora Loreto September 15, 2012 at 1:30 am #

Hi Jane, yes I do remember meeting after the award ceremony. I’m surprised by your reaction, though I thank you for writing. I want to put a few things into perspective: first, you’re right. I can do better. This was a blog post, written in the style of all my blog posts (mostly) where I give myself less than an hour to write something, edit it and press “publish.” It’s not a piece of journalism as you’ve identified. It is, however, somewhat satirical. I used a set of examples that were more outrageous than I would hope many teachers would adopt, such as mailing wood shavings that were used to mop up puke to the premier. Despite it’s ridiculousness, there’s a message there: teachers put up with a lot and the premier would do well to be reminded that, sometimes, this includes cleaning up puke.

I have no disdain for students and I’m not sure how you could reasonably jump to that as a conclusion (indeed, my last sentence contradicts this claim). But, as you know, quality teaching conditions are good learning conditions. Teachers have to do whatever they can to protect their classrooms, the quality of their teaching and their students.

The problem, as I see it, is that teachers have lost the PR battle and need to get creative to win it back. I think that that’s clear but perhaps I could have been more clear.

I should correct you, however. I was not a model student at Ryerson and in no way a keener. I was one of a hand full of first year journalism students whose head didn’t fall off when we found out that we wouldn’t be graded on our articles (as in given letter grades…we were of course given excellent and helpful feedback). I’m an advocate of removing grading entirely from schooling and I write from this position. I have been accurately called many things in my life. Keener isn’t one of them.

It’s also good that my bitterness shines through too. I’ll spare you the details of what its like to be a student advocate pounding my head into a wall for nine years dealing with this government. Instead, I’ll just let you all know that in Grade 7 my parents and my teachers were on strike for two weeks. In Grade 9, my teachers were on partial strike, my parents were on strike for the first six weeks of school. I will never forgive Mike Harris for forcing me to learn Grade 9 English for 5 hours a day for 5 days to catch up to where we were supposed to be, but I supported my teachers then and I support teachers now.

If only I had written this better I could have spent all this time talking about the issue at hand: the whole-scale dissolution of collective bargaining rights. But, as our friends in Wisconsin are showing us today, maybe this will all be declared illegal by a judge in 18 months.

8. Megan Schroter September 16, 2012 at 2:23 am #

I know students still in high school who are being affected by the teacher’s work to rule decision. Taking away extra-curriculars- I understand that teachers devote extra time to that. But I also understand that extra-curricular activities are for the students, not the teachers, benefit- sports relieve stress and frustration and encourage fitness, debate clubs encourage wit, music groups develop talents students might not otherwise achieve. At Weldon all extra activities have been cancelled- including the Terry Fox run which, might I add, the high school I went to raises thousands of dollars for every year. And what about breakfast programs? That’s extra. Are you telling me teachers are going to refuse to run breakfast programs and let kids go hungry over what the union demands? The things in this article, such as refusing to mark things or administer tests- I’m sorry, but if my teachers had done that to me in high school I would have spoken up. The suggestions in this article, if actually done, could screw up a student’s education in big ways, set them back a long way. I’m sorry to those I offend with my opinion, but to me education is more important than losing your ability to bank sick days. I agree with losing the right to strike- education is a priority, and teachers (and their unions) should be thinking of their student’s welfare and education- the whole reason they have a job in the first place. A job, I might add, with a decent paycheque, excellent benefits, and more time off than almost any other field of practice.

9. Jennifer Dawson (@rosesnpurls) September 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Unfortunately your suggestions are not plausible, nor are they legal. We understand that stopping extra-curricular activities hurts children, just as it hurts those who run them. However, Extra-curriculars are voluntary activities that are not a part of our contractual obligations. Things like marking and administering tests are part of our job, and are therefore not optional to perform. Should we decide to perform such actions they would be considered, under the current definition of strike, strike action. This, both under the OLRA and Bill 115 are illegal. Withdrawing from extra-curricular activities is the only legal action we can take right now.

• ron sano September 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

A teacher must understand the importance of properly presenting opinions with careful prose and grammar. It’s distracting when teachers can’t distinguish a possessive pronoun from a pronoun/verb contraction. If you have something to convey, do it intelligently.

• ron sano September 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

I suggest one reform would be to pay teachers for ‘extracurricular’ activities (and banish that terminology) by simply mandating them as part of their responsibilities. In many countries, such activities are required of teachers. There is no reason to consider these activities voluntary, especially when teachers are prone to withholding their participation when it suits them.

10. Yzer September 19, 2012 at 12:46 am #

Reading these comments really makes me believe that no one really read that legislation. The government has taken all power away from school boards. They have taken over the complete control of who they hire, when they. If they don’t want to hire someone because of race they will. Josef Staling created a five year plan to separate the worker from the wealth. The entire Bill needs to be read and you will see the comparisons. The feds did it with the pilots, Chrysler is trying to threaten the workers with leaving Canada. The doctors were threatened and now the public service workers which is 7% of the budget. Proof that the government is taking a totalitarian stance.Stop bashing teachers people or we will have the American way of education. Only the rich get the good education and the poor get lame teachers because they make very low wages. Fight the government for all workers in Ontario.

• rudy johnson September 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

“if they don’t want to hire someone because of race they will”….give me a break. That is called discrimination and there is legislation under the human rights code that makes that illegal. Also the bill would never get passed in such a multicultural country like Canada. I feel you are adding to the bill a bit and might want to take another look at it. Also “the poor get the lame teachers because they make very low wages”. Very interesting comment. I feel that is a very narrow minded view and also a huge slap in the face to any American teacher that is choosing to work in a public system and not at a private school. Ever stop to think maybe someone takes a job for their own intrinsic reward over the paycheck at the end of the day.

11. B September 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

Welcome to the new economic world teachers. You sound like the Europeans with the austerity measures complaining that they have to pay tax now that the governments are broke. You get $90,000 per year ( Median income in Ontario is under $40,000 ), summers off, 2 weeks Christmas/1 week march break, the best pension in the world, can call a substitute teacher hotline to get a replacement on any given day. You should be doing extra-circulars out of guilt alone. The people do not support your spoiled profession anymore. You will just take it out on your students. Shame on you.

• rudy johnson September 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

“Its all about the kids” though lol … They are used as pawns just like the younger teachers / jobless teachers paying into a union who has negotiated them out of jobs.

12. internship October 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

Hi, yeah this post is actually pleasant and I have learned
    lot of things from it on the topic of blogging. thanks.

13. Elizabeth December 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

Well, I just contacted a private school. I have one child. The cost is the same as daycare and I WOULD GET DAYCARE. You would all think differently if you had to teach for a private employer like a Private School. You wouldn’t have union protection and you wouldn’t be allowed to strike or bank sick days – just like the rest of us. I think about half of Ontario’s teachers got into this job BECAUSE of the perks, not because of loving to work with children and ensure a first class education you can say proudly you were a part of. Instead, for 2 hours a night AFTER school, I HOME SCHOOL my child BECAUSE he can’t grasp the garbage you are teaching him. For example, “make a table – 1 bus holds 18 kids. Create a table for 6 buses.” The question then is, “How many buses would it take to transport 270 children?” So my son looks at the table he’s created and starts crying BECAUSE the answer is NOT on his table and there are no instructions about base equations and using multiplication and division to solve the problem. You teach him garbage. I have to sort through that garbage nightly and find what it is you are failing him on and make sure he can problem solve, NOT memorize and create answer tables! Rubbish education! I’m calling the private school tomorrow.

14. HTTP://tinyurl.com/a538ctg January 4, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Thanks for posting “Dear Ontario teachers: | Dulce
    et Decorum”. Iwill definitely end up being back again
    for a lot more reading and commenting soon enough. I am grateful, Chet

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dear Ontario teachers: | Montreal Teachers 4 Change.org - September 12, 2012

[…] By Nora Loreta. Published September 12 by noraloreto.ca […]

2. McGuinty and the education factory | this is my internet web-log - September 12, 2012

[…] it’s in this light I think teacher activists might want to consider this recent post from Nora Loreto: I urge you to think beyond work-to-rule. That pisses off the most keen or the most in need of […]

3. OTR Links 09/13/2012 | doug – off the record - September 13, 2012